Mum and I made this cake a few weeks ago and I forgot all about it until now when I found the images I took on my computer. As most people know I am gluten free and it definitely doesn’t stop me from baking delicious cakes, that you would’nt even know are gluten free!
This recipe is really easy to make and it tastes amazing, especially for coffee lovers. 🙂
Here is the recipe below:
6 Large Eggs
350g Muscovado Sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
270g gf white flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
1 cup strong black coffee
225ml whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line two 20cm cake tins with baking paper.
2. Melt butter and let it cool. Using an electric mixer, beat your eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together until tripled in volume (6-7 mins). Drizzle in butter, whisking well.
3. Sift the flour, almonds and baking powder over the mixture and fold in carefully not letting any air out. Fold in the walnuts.
4. Scrape the mixture evenly into the tins and bake for 35-45 mins.
5. Once cakes are cooked and a skewer comes out clean from each of them, cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes and then turn out and cool on rack until completely cool.
6. To make the filling, stir the sugar into the coffee until dissolved. Turn the cakes over and poke small holes in with a skewer and brush in the cooled coffee ensuring you have around 4sps of coffee mixture left over.
7. Whip your cream and fold remaning coffee through cream. Place one cake on a plate and use cream to sandwich the cakes together and top with coffee buttercream (icing sugar, butter and coffee!) Decorate with walnuts to finish.